THE CHÂTEAU AND ITS VINES
A FAMILY AFFAIR
Château Haut Gléon is an estate with a long and storied history, as demonstrated by the remains of a sixth-century chapel on the site dedicated to ‘Our Lady of Gléon’.
The current manor house is built on the ruins of the medieval castle built here in 1223, shortly after the Vicomte de Narbonne gave this land as a gift to the de Treilles family, who promptly took the name ‘de Gléon’.
The Lords of Gléon were elevated to the rank of Marquis in April 1750, with Jean-Baptiste de Treilles becoming the first Marquis de Gléon. His descendants were to meet a less noble fate: the last Marquis de Gléon and his son were murdered in their ancestral home on 12 November 1830.
Madame la Marquise de Gléon sold the estate in 1861 to Hyppolyte Bonnes, who divided it equally between his two sons in 1874.
In 1991 the Duhamel family acquired the Domaine Gléon and renamed it ‘Château Haut Gléon’. One of the jewels in the Languedoc’s winemaking crown, the estate has been part of the Foncalieu family since 2012.